Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that uses natural therapies to support and stimulate the body’s own ability to heal itself. Naturopathic medicine’s philosophy is to address the root cause of any illness or disease and to use an integrated approach to disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention. Naturopathic doctors use a scientific and research- based approach in their diagnosis and guide their patients to use their own innate healing powers in their individual treatments.
What does a Naturopathic Doctor do?
A Naturopathic doctor is a licensed and Board certified primary health care provider who uses natural and non-pharmaceutical approach in his/her therapeutic practices. A Naturopathic Doctor (ND) takes the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual dimensions of his/her patient into account when diagnosing and developing individualized treatment plans.
Naturopathic medicine’s philosophy revolves around 6 important principles which by utilizing them a naturopathic physician would be able to identify the root cause of disease and utilize the healing power of nature in disease prevention and treatment. These principles are as follows:
- First, Do No Harm: This important principle is followed by minimizing the risk of harmful side effects by using the most gentle and non-invasive natural therapies that support the individual’s own vital force.
- The Healing Power of Nature: Naturopathic medicine recognizes the innate power of the body in healing itself. Naturopathic physicians try to facilitate an individual’s own healing ability by stimulating his/her immune system through naturopathic therapies and lifestyle counselling.
- Identify and Treat the Causes: In Naturopathic medicine, the underlying cause of any illness is identified and treated as opposed to merely eliminating the symptoms of the disease and not addressing the root cause of it.
- Treat the Whole Person: Naturopathic physicians treat the total health of their patients by incorporating physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors in their diagnosis.
- Doctor as Teacher: Naturopathic physicians always try to share their knowledge with their patients and empower them to be active participants in their own healing journey. They also encourage their patients to take a more active role in their health and wellbeing by returning to a more health promoting lifestyle.
- Disease prevention and Health Promotion: One of the major differences between naturopathic medicine and conventional medicine is that disease prevention is greatly emphasized in naturopathy and this would help to create a healthier society.
At Naturopathic Care Clinic we use all or some of the following natural therapies:
- Herbal formulas are made individually for each patient.
- Acupuncture is performed in accordance with the traditional chinese medicine diagnosis of tongue and pulse.
- Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on the patient’s concerns.
- Nutritional advice is provided to all patients to help them in achieving their own individual optimal health and wellbeing and to address any nutritional deficiencies.
- Environmental Toxin levels are tested to address the root cause of many illnesses especially, autoimmune diseases and multiple environmental allergies and sensitivities.
Our Naturopathic Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Toronto, directly across from the College subway station,
We are located at: 790 Bay Street, Suite 608, Toronto, ON, M5G 1N8